20051127

The day after concert

Hope David had a successful concert ^__^ Updating online english feature @ The Electric New Paper:

He croons love songs, but R&B singer David Tao says: 'I'm a lousy lover'
By Chang May Choon
November 26, 2005

--MOHD ISHAK

PINK is the new David Tao
No doubt it's an unlikely colour for the Taiwan-based R&B maestro who is known to be serious and critical.
But he carried off his salmon pink T-shirt with cheer anyway, when he met The New Paper at Hyatt Hotel on Tuesday.
In town to rehearse his Love Can concert to be held tomorrow, David, 36, was clearly in a jovial mood.
He laughed easily and was almost frivolous as he fielded our questions about the love theme of his show.
MIDNIGHT VISIT
When asked what is the wildest thing he has ever done for love, he dug into his memory and came up with something that happened when he was 16 years old and living in Los Angeles.
One day, he snuck out of his house past midnight to cycle 20 minutes to his girlfriend's house and chatted with her till morning.
But the trip home was arduous, he said, for he had to cycle uphill to get home, and then climbed up a ladder and crawl into his room on the second floor.
'My legs were so sore and I was hungry and tired,' he recalled with a grimace.
'My parents were sleeping but my mum knew I was out and I got reprimanded. I hid two pillows under my blanket, but she found out.'
But he had no regrets.
He said: 'It was the first time I stayed out so late, but it was very romantic and liberating.'
When asked who the love of his life is, David named his parents and God.
Said the devout Christian: 'Girlfriends can change, and wives too, though I hope not. But my parents won't change.
'I don't spend as much time with them, but our bond is very strong.'
His folks both flew into Singapore - dad from Taipei and mum from Shanghai - to see him perform this time.
But David was quick to point out that he suspects they are here on a mini-honeymoon to celebrate their recent 38th wedding anniversary, and that his concert was an excuse for them to get him to pay for their holiday.
'My dad is quite sharp. It's been years since he last came to Singapore, and he said he wants to bring mum too.
'He provided the motive. I'm just the financial support.'
Is there a lady love in his life?
David claimed he is not seeing anyone, even though Taiwanese papers have gone to town with rumours of him romancing a woman known only as Joanna.
The workaholic insisted that he has neither the time nor devotion for a relationship.
'I'm a lousy lover because my brain is like everywhere,' he said, chuckling.
'I have too many things on my mind, and sometimes I try to multi-task too much. I've been told by girlfriends, 'Can you listen to me and pay attention?' And I'll be like, 'Oh, sure'.'
To get his attention, he said a woman has to leave him alone to do his stuff. Nagging or arguing with him will only irritate him.
MONEY CAN'T BUY LOVE
In any relationship, David said he will never spoil his woman excessively with money, or splurge one quarter of his annual salary on a diamond ring for her.
'I don't want her to equate money with love. Everything I do is from my heart.'
Will he require his future wife to sign a pre-nuptial then, considering his sizeable fortune earned from selling millions of copies of albums and product endorsements?
Frowning, David said: 'That's kind of harsh and not so cool. Spoiling is okay to a degree, but men can be more creative and romantic than to rely on money.'

Visual treats at David's concert
A HELICOPTER, a tropical rainforest, and the song Butterfly.
That is David Tao's promise to fans who show up at his Love Can concert tomorrow.
There will be flashy costumes, a replica chopper, a 'back to nature' backdrop, and great music backed by an eight-piece string orchestra.
David will also croon the highly-requested Butterfly because his Singapore fans have requested it repeatedly.
He said he wrote the song as a devotional piece to God, but rarely performs it live because the lyrics are 'too complicated' and difficult to remember.
Would he also strip and show off his six-pack abs?
David laughed: 'It all depends on the audience reaction. Screaming (for him to strip) for 10 seconds is not enough. At least 30 seconds to a minute!'

No comments: