20060823

Poster boy David

Pix credit: DFTC
Once again I must stressed this is only a poor little blog where I write abt my feelings on an artist very important to me. His music helps me enormously & I am not saying that as a rabid fan hellbent on defending her idol. So if you have a problem with his personality & you think his music is crap, maybe you can take it to a Chinese music forum where for sure you find heaps who feel the same way as you abt his latest album.
Tai Mei Li has so far received 90% negative reviews so if you think David is slipping, then you are in good company. Nobody will argue with you & I am not going to try & change yr mind. So if you are mad abt spending good cash on a crap album, maybe you can write to David or EMI to demand a refund ^__^ No use venting yr anger here cos I cannot help you as I honestly love the album to bits.
David's music may mean nothing much to millions out there but I am not really concerned what others think of him & his music. That is why I started writing this blog so I have a voice in the annals of his music-making. I honestly thought I will be mostly writing for myself so I was surprised that there are some who felt the same way. My sincere thanks to the 2 fans who left their comments in Imperfect Rose post. I was actually hesitant abt writing the analogy as not sure if it will make sense, so I am glad the 2 of you understood what I wrote.
It's probably a foregone conclusion that Beautiful will be considered as David's worst album & I am ok with it. Maybe he wrote this one for his hardcore fans, but I think the answer could lie in his last song Olio. He wrote a marvellous song called Circus in his 2nd album where he claimed life is a circus. In Olia, the circus has left town ...
David appeared at Sprite singing competition where once again he is the idol of 1 of the contestants who got so nervous singing Wan Bu Liao, so David took his guitar & helped him sing Regular Friends. Found below clip of David singing Susan says at Chengdu fans gathering. Once again he forgot lyrics but his excellent vocals made up for it. It was so cute when they sang out loud the opera part & rap along with him. My idol forever & always *__*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the previous entry Imperfect Rose....zhao was saying something like the album is like "an old friend welcoming you back". I've a thought abt it and I was finally able to comprehend that statement in a certain way.

This morning as i woke up, and i put on his records, not wanting to hear any heavy stuff or anything complicated early in the morning, it was then instantly it becomes clear. I was surprised to feel the once-familar feeling i used to get when i listened to his first album. It was a similar kind of experience but this time round with a different range of music. It was simple and fuss-free and I was blissfully happy. It was such a riveting experience and important discovery that i felt implused enough to share, but i'll say the above mentioned couldn't justified with the sensations i was having, it was so much more but the best i could expressed with this language.

Sometimes i feel one of the wonderful things about this blog is when i've many others like-minded fans who're able to express it more beautifully for me. Its like a learning journey we all took together with DT. A lot of wonderful experience in this album i could have otherwise missed out if not for you friends. I just wanna thank you and applaud the readers, esp the webmistress to have open up my eyes and heart to this album. :)

Hence, i'm not afriad to say how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE this album despite the hell lot of criticism. :p

~ tangerina

udonotknowme1 said...

:) I see it in the opposite direction. To me it's more like welcoming an old friend back.

You feared the change, sometimes even expecting betrayal or abandonment. Unsure of how to react, you toughen yourself, anticipating disappointment. You practice your lines and try to think up possible topics so that the first conversation after so long won’t be awkward. Then, he finally arrives. His hair and clothes are different, he looks older, even the way he carries himself is not the same.

But then, he sees you and waves, his eyes sparkle, a wide smile spreading across his face. As you both approach each other and embrace, you feel the same warmth you’ve always felt with this friend. You suddenly realise that although he looks different, your friendship has not changed. You breathe a sigh of relief, feeling a slight tinge of guilt for doubting in the first place.

I totally agree with Tangerina. If it wasn't for Zhaodi, I would've felt like I was standing alone. I don't know many real life DT fans and it's hard being the only one defending his music and values. This site and DT's music reminds me that I am never alone.

Anonymous said...

udonotknowme1, you have given such a perfect analogy i can;t agree with you more.

Zhaodi, not to worry. whatever it is, you will always have my support. If not for your blog, I would have missed out on so much up to date info on Dave. You have really become my main source of info on the latest updates on Dave.

As for those negative remarks and reviews on Wang Bu Liao... well, let's just say when one is popular or successful enough, one will natural attract the detractors who just want to prove that they are right or that they are a grade above the rest by not agreeing with the general crowd ... the "phlebians" like us. Well, let them be and you just continue be who you wanna be and say what you wanna say. keep up with the good job on the blog.

Personally, i feel that this album signifies the evolution of David's creativity and also a progress into the next phase in his life. No longer does he sees the world with alot of penned up anger. Rather he wants the listeners to see the world from a different angle. And that is... to see it through more loving eyes. And only in that way, will we be able to make changes to this world. The fact that the style of this album comprises mainly of light hearted songs constantly reminds me to see things in a more lighted manner and it has indeed made me a more optimistics person when I meet with adversities.

Look at it this way, should David had retain his previous style of music, he would have equally been criticised for running out of new ideas.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Zhaodi. Like lovehimasyouwish said... you'll always hav my support. David showed me how great God is when I'm really down thru 'Butterfly'. David showed me I should believe in myself when others dun thru 'I Believe'. He's someone who I deeply respect. David doesn't need a zillion fans who jus adore him blindly. He wans fans who understand his music... Fans who understand what he's TRYING TO TELL thru his music. Someone told me once: Being an artiste is not about how high you can climb... It's about how far you can go.

With fans like you guys... you can be sure David's journey will not be a short one. = )