20060806

Oops! DT did it again

Ladies & gent, our Dave has done it again ^__^ He now has the unbroken record of having songs banned from all his albums released in mainland China. I don't wanna know is banned cos the lyrics contain 'second wife' in chinese. Maybe its his fate to have songs banned >"< What can I say abt Beautiful? I don't wanna say its my fav cos well his nxt album may replace it & become my fav too. But I wanna say I like it even better than The Great Leap but its hard cos I do still like The Great Leap alot. But certainly Beautiful surpassed The Great Leap slightly in my liking.
Lotsa criticism abt this album focused on the fact that its very understated with no outstanding songs or development. I thought that's rather unfair cos David has already said before the album release that it will be softer, more romantic with no controvesy like Black Tangerine & The Great Leap. So if you go looking for surprises in this album, then you are likely to be disappointed. However if you go looking for meaningful songs you can enjoy then you might be delighted.
I will do a review soon cos I wanna listen to the album more. Its really vry beautiful. Don't have a definite fixed fav yet cos so many songs to choose - Too Beautiful, The Chase, How Long, Finally, Olia. I like all of them. Maybe the one I like least is once again not written by him, Forever, written by Josh Chen & Andrew Chu. I love the Spanish in The Chase: Donde esta ella? Mi amor - Where are you? My love & Buena suerte - good luck. Olia is a female biblical name meaning olive tree in Latin. An olive branch symbolises peace. Time & peace? I love the way he whispers Time in the beginning & also the sound of ticking & clocks in the song. But the ending phrase is kinda perplexing ... not too sure. Sounds like it might come from a movie?
David & Jolin being nauseatingly sweet during filming of mv. At the moment looks like only 4 mvs: Don't forget, Too Beautiful, Marry me today & Olia. As for the song Marry me today, I wanna giggle when I listen to it. He is so clever. The song has kinda melody of his dad's Friend Song. Also reminds of kiddies' song where the adult would cue them in by saying "back to you". The ending is also vry cute like the ending of Hollywood musicals where the hero & heroine get married & live happily ever after. On the surface its a sweet, innocent song with girly fantasies abt weddings but marriage is seldom a fairytale but 2 ppl trying to co-exist together. After listening to the album, I am beginning to understand his love letter. He talks abt his fear of marriage & getting old, but its only when you face your fears then you can overcome them.
Can't remember where I read it but someone once said that U2 don't really have outstanding songs. In fact most of the songs are written to highlight Bono's unique & outstanding vocals & so they become outstanding. I could say the same about Beautiful. Yes it may not have outstanding songs but David's vocals are just outta this world. His superb singing is the reason this album is ultimately outstanding.

No comments: