20061222

2006 music review

Some fairly recent pixs of David when he performed in 溫州 on 12/18. A Chinese blogger praised his live singing. I honestly think he really is getting better & better at singing live. Some end of the year album recommendations surprisingly include Beautiful: here & here I thought they hated the album ^__^ Still I think there is overall disappointment at this year's output of Chinese pop music. Finally they admitted that piracy & illegal download has affected album sales, something David has already stressed many times. A HK music critic said that HK music is getting worst cos the same few composers & lyrists are producing the bulk of the music, again an opinion that David has already expressed more than a year ago. I feel that TW music has lost its freshness, everybody is doing the same thing, nobody dares to do anything different for fear their albums will be left on the shelves. Not that familiar with mainland China music but I think they overly obsessed with the Supergirls there.
Not one album stood out, not one single stood out for me this year. So if I have to pick one 2006 album, it will still be Beautiful not just cos I am his fan but at least David did something different. He gave us a bit of old skool hiphop, some good old-fashioned soul and lots of blues. The adaptation of the Broadway musical, Dreamgirls is the movie to catch this yr & weep when you listen to the soundtrack. This is what real good r&b music should sound like. This is what real emo singing sounds like. Earlier this year, David said that he is very disappointed with the Chinese music industry & once again, as always, he is right. I am guessing someone will echo his sentiment soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. My favourite was when David said there would be less piracy if better albums were released.

Still, I've always had issues with some of the bad casings (the discs keep falling out). Not everyone would get an original copy if it spoils easily and they can't rip it.

Zhao said...

Yeah, Sukyee I had problems with bad casing from US & UK cds as well. Wonder why they wanna save on the CD case when they spend so much on promo, mvs & stuff >"<

celinewong said...

Yeah!! I have bad casing experience too..and YES.. sometimes i play the cd too much dat it spoils so often! such a heartache when i pay so much and it spoils easily. But don't worry i support original albums!!! heheh!! especially for DT who produces good albums!!