20040809

DON'T CALL ME 'KING OF R&B'


David haf nvr wanted to be known just 4 his r&b songs, but its a label ppl kept putting on him. U find that the chinese media quite often use him usually to point out that other singers r better at r&b than him which to me is pointless. How can u compare? U dun read that Usher's r&b is better than Michael Jackson but not so good as Craig Davids, or that Brian McKnight is the king of r&b. Just feel that the chinese media is generally vry childish and undeveloped when talking abt music & musicians. Anyway managed to find another article that is fair to him, not many of these around so will transcribe here.

He was called the "King of R&Bs," even though he has said he hates the nick name. He was compared to Jay Chou (Zhou Jielun), even though he has asked the media never to make the comparison.
At the press conference to promote his new album, "Ultrasound 1997-2003", David Tao (Tao Zhe) just couldn't win. "Please don't call me the 'King of R&Bs,' I am not king of anything," said the 34-year-old singer, "People would think I only do R&B with such a glorious title, but actually there are many different elements in my music, like rock. I don't want to put such limits on my music."
Born in Hong Kong, raised in Taipei, and now living in Los Angeles, David Tao started his career as the songwriter behind such pop superstars as Jeff Chang (Zhang Xinzhe), Cyndi Chaw (Zhao Yonghua) and A Mei (Zhang Huimei).
He released his first album "David Tao" in 1997, but it was his second album, 1999's "I'm OK", that brought him widespread acclaim, largely thanks to the hit song "Rain" (Zhaoziji).
In an age when most pop stars make sure they're constantly in the spotlight for fear of being forgotten, Tao, refreshingly, keeps his own pace, which is why it took him three years to release "Black Tangerine" (Heise Liuding), a surprising album thanks to the hard rock of the title track.
"'Black Tangerine' is one of my favourite songs, and it's rock, not R&B," Tao said at the time of its release. "But that doesn't mean I'm a rock singer.
"I like rock because I like the revolutionary attitude underlying it. The song expresses my concerns about society. Music should be able to deliver such messages and exert critical power. I like Cui Jian and John Lennon for the messages in their music."
Talking about the new album, Tao was especially enthusiastic about "Runaway", which is influenced a lot by American country music.
"It's a song written for all the dream seekers. If you have a dream, whatever it is, you should try your best pursuing it. That's the meaning of life."

No comments: