20060201

David and Tradition

Have to wish Lucky Happy New Year as its his year heehee Anyway not much news abt David but SGFC is already planning HK concert trip so if u r thinking of going, u might wanna join the discussion @ their forum. Thanks so much anon in Comments for all yr comments. Actually more of a purist so dun really find its fresh or creative to insert classical opera or music into any kind of pop music. Quite a few in both East & West had done it so not really an original idea.
When I fell in love with David's music, I nvr noticed that he used Chinese instruments in some of his songs. Esp Our Love, I find its a simple, charming, melodic song with the bittersweet hint of an unfulfilled first love. Or the intro in I'm OK which I love almost as much as Black Tangerine for the clashing rock sounds. So plse do not be offended as this is a David Tao blog & I am merely expressing my opinions, but this is why David is so much better than any other Chinese singer/songwriters. When you listen to his songs, you dun think wow its so cool or creative he is using Chinese instruments or any other background sounds. Usually his voice or the melody takes precedence & you completely lost yourself in the song or his voice. Later when you listen to the song for the umpteen time ^__^ then you realised how he blend in the instruments, the sound layering, his backing vocals. Well that is how I listen to his music anyway, I dun listen to it to find out how creative or cool David the musician is. I listen to his music because it speaks to my heart.
I am not saying that overly creative music is necessary a bad thing but its really what you want from listening to music right? Or that David is not creative. He is extremely but he usually try not to overuse it in his music cos I think he wants us to feel the music not marvel at how creative a musician he is. Of cos there are some exceptions like inserting sounds in Airport in 10.30, Rain, My Anata, Kungpao Chicken but its not jarring or overwhelming. Not only that but take away the sounds & the song will sound just as good. Of cos he is the expert at blending in Chinese instruments that it usually enhanced his music & not stand out as the integral part. When the chinese instruments do stand out, its usually cos the song requires it like Moon over whose heart, Susan says, The Art of War.
Susan Says I feel is a song that was waiting to be written by David. Bejing opera was a part of his life & the relationship with his mother which he put into Catherine. But it don't necessarily mean that David actually enjoys Chinese opera or want his fans to go & listen to it. When initally he was asked the role of his mother in Bejing opera, he wasn't even sure >"< I believed that he mentioned his grandfather was from Nanjing ... the worst atrocities suffered by the Chinese during Japanese invasion was in Nanjing. Not that there is anything in it but sure make Susan Says more interesting for me.
Anyway speaking for myself I dun particularly enjoy popsongs featuring any kind of classical or operatic music. I love classical music so its just annoying when ppl mixed it up with modern sounds. As far as I am concerned ppl should be able to appreciate classical music untainted, if they only like it mixed into a popsong then its not classical music anymore, its still just pop. Liking Susan Says is not going make me want to enjoy Beijing or any kind of Chinese opera. Its still an unknown artform for me & maybe one day I may understand it more but certainly not cos of a creative popsong that uses some of its more accessible elements.
So to me the overuse of traditional instruments or music in pop could be a bit like the making of the movie Memoirs of a Geisha. Its very creative, very catchy, very beautiful, very well done but ultimately self-serving. If ppl are geuinuely interested in something, they will go & find out abt it irregardless of a movie or popsong. If they become interested cos of a movie or song, their interest may not last vry long or just as long as the next cool movie/song that use a different hook.
Of cos not to say that I dun appreciate efforts by singer/composers who use traditional instruments/music esp by Leehom who travelled all over China to record such music so as to incorporate into his albums. But I really rather listen to his original recordings if he ever feel inclined to release them in an album.
Wow I really can go on a bit yeah @_@ Still on the subject Zoe just for you I went & watch sum Thai music program & amazingly found 2 newly released Thai songs that use elements of Thai traditional music. Broken Hearted Man by James is a fun song which used Thai musical instruments in kinda My Anata way so I think u will like it! Don't Lie by Endorphine dun actually used Thai musical instruments but it incorporated traditional Thai melody & verse into a western style rock song. I really like this one cos the female lead singer has quite incredible vocals & the song really rocks.
Also while looking for Thai music programs, managed to catch segment of Music Time of Fei Yu-Ching which featured Lisa, the other female singer in Love Can concerts. She is an incredible talent noted for her husky voice which apparently rather rare in the Chinese entertainment scene. She also looks much prettier without the cornrows heehee Anyway she demonstrated Boosa Nova by singing The Girl from Ipanema as well another African music genre I am not familiar with. Then she sang her most famous hit which was jointly written by Lou Dayu, an extremely familiar song I heard before & like alot. Unfortunately busy at that time so didn't write down the name. But really hope to hear more from Lisa cos she is really very very very good!

2 comments:

zoe said...

I know the song by James, it's from his latest album but they were saying he's imitating the style from another huge star 'Bird' [he acutally the first the use the traditional music but we should rather give credit to his song writer/producer for the creative thought] XD coz his last album was totally R&B~ he's truly a pop singer coz they seem to shift from one kind of music to another so easily~ just according to the producer that is XD
not so sure about endorphine songs coz I don't listen to many Thai songs lately but they r quite popular~ the singer got great voice but she kinda over used it sometimes it hurts my ears XD

enough complaints~! I don't lose hope in Thai music yet but it just not so appealing to me lately that's all~

Anonymous said...

wow!!such a cool site!!
seems lyk u'r reli david's super fans!!!!well...he's really a cute guy!!and u know..i love him also becoz of his music...nice..and his personality!!
love your site !!!!
Mag,xoxo