20070506

About DT & GMA

Well Lynne actually not too sure myself since wasn't around when it happened which was Black Tangerine time so it must have been 2003. When Black Tangerine was not nominated in any GMA categories, everybody was surprised & the reason given was the album was not suitable or something like that. The problem could be Tonight's News. This track was almost banned in TW & banned in mainland China cos it contained snippets of Taiwanese news. Maybe it was copyright problem, not too sure but for David living in LA at that time, he must have thought it was alrite to use a few secs of radio news as that was legal in the US.
When David was told abt it, I guess he got mad & I think he said something abt the GMA judges not professional enough or something like that. Hey, u know, the guy spend more than 3 yrs working on an album & for it to get KO cos of 1 track which was extremely significant, he should have the right to be angry & our Dave do have a temper ^__^ Anyway thank god the affair did not escalated as David is not the kind to push the issue but dun think he ever forgive GMA for this slight. Since then he has not attended GMA although he was nominated for every album he released after Black Tangerine. Btw, Black Tangerine was released under Shock Records not EMI so it must have been even more bitter for David as it was his own company.
Anyway I have to say I am on his side, if I have been slighted like that I too will swear never to darken GMA's doors but David is a prominent singer/songwriter/producer in TW & he should be seen as supporting this award show *sigh* Well he did send his dad last yr but this yr I dun know. Anyway I think GMA will not give him the Best male singer unless he attend so he probably get Best song or Best songwriter or just none. Not that I care abt him winning awards anymore.
This yr GMA seems to be promoting fresh acts but I am not too impressed. Deserts Xuan is sweet but she reminds me too much of 60s torch singers - do we really need one in 2000s? Soda Green is very talented but to call them 'indie' is too much of a stretch. They don't have the edge & some of their songs much too saccharine. I seen both perform in the Hito concert while waiting for David & it was like watching a talent show. They were so amateurish & did not emote much. It was Evan Yo who at least try to put on a show but his vocals let him down. No power at all & much too highstrung. Why do TW male singers suddenly all have highpitched voices like opera singers? Weird >"< It is too much to ask them to sing with a natural voice?
msfanjiu, can find all DT msgs in english only from his journal if u click on Messages under Taoism.

2 comments:

udonotknowme1 said...

David's choices and the little comments are what makes him who he is. The reason I respect him so must is because he does not compromise on his ideals.

I don't know. Maybe its the way EMI is packaging him. Maybe I'm tired of the public's fixation on that one song, which, although is brilliant despite being corny, is the only song that non DT fans can appreciate besides "I Love You". It bothers me that so many people dismiss the whole album, saying that the other songs are too boring even though they have much more substance.

But alas, this is all about expectations. Expectations I put on a person and on a society I know nothing about. Sorry for being so emo! :P

Anonymous said...

I found this Video by chance today.
The title was surprise me "David Tao performed at GMA 2001".

Hmmm...Was this video clip an evidence that DT went to GMA long time agoooo???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkT_MtuQIUo

This was the first time I heard DT sang Hip Hop.

Noshka