20060128

Gong Si Fai Cai! Wan Si Ru Yi!

My blog & I wish everyone a very Happy Doggy Year. Hope support for David will be just as forthcoming & warm this year. Here his right eye a bit swollen when he got hit by a mike :/ He seemed to have problems with mike, wasn't he hit by one in Spore too? Maybe he should include it in his clip abt the horrors encountered in staging concerts. Apparently it was quite hilarious.
There was a skit where he rushed backstage to change clothes to sing Black Tangerine & found his staff mbrs playing cards. He cried out, "I have to sing Black Tangerine next!" & a woman appeared with a basketful of tangerines *__*
I really like how David is careless with his image & always willing to laugh at himself. He is so willing to play along even tho it may make him ridiculous & be laughed at. In 'I love black world' he was funny when they made him playact in various situations. He even spoke in Shanton, a dialect in China & apparently danced the tango but wasn't included in the version I dl. He sang Over the rainbow & sounded super marvellous even if tho he forgot most of the lyrics ^_^
Latest news is David gave big red packet to his mom, always so filial. Remind me just had the most confusing reunion dinner where everything came in the wrong order. We had dessert in the middle & steamed fish at the end, still it was all vry scrumptious. Also online chat with US buddy who was incensed at more racism on US radio mocking Asian's accent with 'ching chong'. I got to wondering maybe it could also be our fault.
I watch Rain's Sad Tango & was impressed. Rain morphed from usual cute Asian boyish looks to becoming very matured & sexy. Even tho the song was derivative his vocals improved tremendously & he sang with feeling this time. The dance choregraphy excellent, very modern hiphop with spanish overtones. Not only that but Rain managed to project a modern Asian feel without use of any asian accoutrements like a fan or using traditional Korean music. I am not surprised his star is rising so fast in the West. Just goes to show that to make music sound Asian dun always mean using Chinese instruments or incorporating Chinese opera. In fact I am rather tired of this style of music & I mean David here as well cos he kinda started it all didn't he? At least he dun do it to excess & make music so 'chopsocky' perpetuating the myth of the kungfu Asian who make 'ching chong' sounds.
So here make a CNY wish that for his next studio album, he will use less or no chinese instruments & no more Chinese opera plse, just give us good sincere music & we will be satisfied. We are not depending on you to 'show the world how good Chinese music is', let the others do it if they wanna. We just want the real, the original, the one & only David Tao ^__~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved OVER THE RAINBOW *SWOONS*

I have to disagree though about the chinese element comment. I don't think it's about making others realize chinese music as much as it is allowing the chinese people to "discover" their own music. I find it a shame that many cpop singers nowadays are trying to be more "western" and I like how some singers are incorporting music from china that isn't used but is also part of china's identity. I mean after all the teenagers these nowadays shouldn't totally forget about what their TRUE roots in music is.

Hence Susan Shou or XZDRY or Fa Ru Xue :)

zoe said...

awww~ but I luv the chinese opera he make so much~ maybe not another song with it but it still sound very David-ish already~ I meant he make the old sounds very new & that's not very easy to do isn't it?

I dunno about originality in music but every thing he does make it seem so original & I luv him for that!

Zhao said...

Thanks anon for yr comments ^_^ hi Zoe *wave* you are such a great DT fan love you *muak*