20040722

GOOD MUSIC VS POPULAR MUSIC


The Search for the Magic Formula vry interesting article abt Stock Aitken Waterman & Kylie Minogue. It abt how they used certain formula to make hits 4 Kylie. The song has to be easy to sing, easy to remember melody & repetitive chorus. This sound like 90% of the chinese music today. The article oso compared sum Kylie song to Madonna songs which r more complex & harder to sing. Of course Madonna oso haf popular hits like Get into the groove, Like a virgin, Crazy for you only she balanced them with better songs like Cherish, Like A Prayer, Frozen & my fav This used to be my playground. I honestly cannot name a Kylie song that is good music not just popular. I used to hate her songs cos they kept repeating in my head, a vry clear indication that the formula is being used.

And I dun listen to 90% of chinese pop cos they all tried to be popular hits not good music. Like Madonna, David too haf his popular songs like Angel, Season of Loneliness, Close to you, Shanghaied but he oso balanced with better ones like Dear God, Circus, Lullaby, Different, songs too difficult to sing & melodies too complex to remember. That's the reason I haf created this blog. And if u read this & still cannot understand, then well u prolly nvr understand.

No comments: