20070724

Jia's 77 Shanghai concert review

Sry been MIA but I am fine now, thanks for yr concern Sean. A great big hug to Jia ^__^ who send me an email with the following brilliant review of 77 Shanghai concert. Hope u dun mind me posting here. Also some vry interesting pixs of the venue. Thanks again Jia for yr contribution!
I had floor seats this time, close to the front of the BACK section of floor seats. For Shanghai Love Can 2005 and for Toronto Concert I had been in the stands. My seats didn't turn out to be that great. From the first song, the people in the front started to stand up (haha it's DT, can you blame them). This caused the people behind them to stand up or else they can't see, and this effect went back through all the floor seats. Eventually, the people at the back of the front section couldn't see, so they stood on their chairs. Of course, this blocked everyone in the back section, so we tried to stand on chairs as well. But after a few songs the rain came down hard, and the floor became a sea of umbrellas. That was officially the end of me really seeing anything. I watched most of the concert wearing a raincoat and peering between umbrellas at one of the screens. The people in the stands with cheaper seats were actually dry (because of the overhang at Hongkou stadium) and they could see the stage. I can understand the Nanjing concert prohibiting standing... it's not to discourage the fans, but some ppl got really upset when they can't see.
Even though I didn't see much, I have to think I got a very special experience being on the floor in the rain. For example, during Ghost there was very bright lightning and earthshaking thunder that really complimented DT's lighting and effects. And of course, being in a torrential downpour with lightning as DT sang Rain was really a treat. I was wet but I didn't care. DT was cool too, when he sang the words "suddenly a big rainstorm starts to fall" there was a huge clap of thunder and flash of lightning, and DT looked up and pointed to the sky. Quite cool, he really played it well. That's why im thinking even though it rained, if the concert was successfully recorded it would make a great DVD because there were no glitches with the sound and DT was very natural in his personalities and jokes with the audience. The first show of a tour is always a bit more raw. Hope we can all watch it on DVD.
Every single seat looked filled. I made a point to check. Even if not allt he tickets were sold, last minnute sales outside the stadium filled it up.. Great atmosphere. The new arrangements were interesting. Some I thought were really appropriate. I loved Close to You, which was DT solo on an acoustic guitar. Fabulous. Some other new arrangements seemed kinda forced. Like, they worked with the song, but I didn't think they were as good as the originals - sounded a bit messy IMO. But it was great that he did something different this time and I loved a lot of the arragements.
The concert was very simple and straightforward. He basically sang song after song with no gimmicks in between. Although there's something to be said for keeping it simple, the songlist seemed kinda random. I liked how Love Can had the rock sequences, the Chinese sequences,and the unplugged band parts. But in the end, what is most important is the musical performance, and that's why we are there. DT was expecially good and his voice was bang on for almost 3 hours! I was amazed again at how DT is still the only artist I can honestly say is BETTER live than he is in studio with his ad libs. He lost his voice close to the end when he sang I Love You. But after thanking his band and talking for a while, he seemed to get it back because his final number was Melody, which he did very well and hit all the high notes. He commented that he really didn't like singing this song live, but he would do it for the fans. He also sang Season of Loneliness, which he also said was a response to fan requests.
The girl who won the "Marry Tao Zhe Today" contest was actually a very good singer. I'm sure DT wanted to make sure that the duet was serious. He invited up a girl for Blue Moon. DT: Are you wet? Here's a towel. Let me help you wipe yourself dry.
Girl: Okay
DT: okay turn to the side. Now the other side. Now your back. Now turn to the front and...
GTirl+Crowd: GASP
DT: ... and take this and wipe any areas left you may need to wipe. hahah what are you all thinking?
DT was like "Do you know what song this is?" and she was nervous and said "Sha Mo." This caused some cheering and jeering in the crowd, and she corrected herself really fast. DT laughed it up and asked "have I written a song called Sha Mo?" He even sang the first verse replacing "Sha Tan" with "Sha Mo" for kicks. The girl was pretty nervous but obviously knew the name of the song because she knew all the words.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this post. There's something very heart warming about it.

P.S I really like the duet by Khalil Fong and Fiona Sit - 四人遊. Not sure how new is it though.

celinewong said...

i haven't heard of it.. but nothing compares to dt & jolin's duet!!!

Anonymous said...

can't help but smile while reading this post! you really get a feel for how DT captivated his audience again...that's what he does best!

Anonymous said...

ahahaha! David is so cute!...
i'm sure this concert is especially memorable for him as well as the fans watching him in the rain. If David does come to Sg, anytime man - rain or shine, i'll be there rooting for him.=)

Anonymous said...

Zhaodi, glad to hear that your are feeling better. Stay healthy and happy!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks Jia for a great review. While reading it, I felt as if I were in the concert.

Hopefully, there will be DVD coming out soon. I really want to see DT sang along with thunder.

Above all, so glad for DT that the concert was very well attended.

~Noshka

Zhao said...

Thanks all for yr comments!

Anonymous said...

DvD DvD... His last 2 HongKong DVD rocks..

Anonymous said...

Hey!
I got the dates for the upcoming concerts in China. From the official "123 we are all wooden men concert" website: http://daphne.vgongshe.com/

9/22 Guiyang
9/29 or 30 Chongqing
12/15 Guangzhou

Add oil!

Alice@NAFTAO