20051216

My Anata, Madame Butterfly

Was amusing myself browsing & reading blogs with mention of Sg Love Can concert & found this vry detailed entry! Wow like to thank the blogger for the review cos it was so good. Not only that but there was an amazing explanation of the song My Anata. David said it was based on Madame Butterfly - about how a young Japanese girl fell in love with an American sailor, and then committed suicide when she found out that he's married. David feels that this is cultural suicide. We should learn how to love and appreciate Chinese music, rather than go crazy over American, Japanese or Korean culture. We must not let our culture die. Obviously also applicable to all Asian races, first we must love ourselves, our cultures before appreciating other cultures.
Anyway it reminded me of this book called A Pale View of Hills by Kazuo Ishigoro, which also has a bit of Madame Butterfly - a Japanese woman married to a Briton & living in Britain recalling another Japanese woman in Japan waiting for her US lover to come & take her away. There was an extremely vague uneasy suggestion that this woman might have killed her little daughter to ease her passage to US. Or the first woman recalling the past might have felt guilt upon the suicide of her own daughter from her first marriage to a Japanese husband. Anyway have to read the book yourself to get what I mean & why I link it to My Anata, or you might not even see the similiarity between the three - Madame Butterfly, My Anata & A Pale View of Hills.
But this is what I called art where the artist getting his influence from somewhere in turn influenced his own audience. David is a master at this, he is so able to make you think whenever you heard his songs & said hey now what does this song means? What does it remind me of? Could it mean this & be influenced by that? Of cos I dun know what all his songs mean but its a pleasure finding out slowly one by one. Even the simple ones has a deeper meaning in it somewhere. David is truly a soulful artist like Ishigoro.
Thanx polopolo21 for youtube link to view lotsa nice DT videos, sum fan must have been busy cos last time I checked, hardly any ^__^ Also thanx Reb for correction on Stanley's name, yeah must be jinx or sumthing since GMA haha so glad u find that site useful beachgurl, such things has been known to happen on a DT site! Hurry to dl Power School, loveissimple *TQ missred* there's limit & dun want you to miss out on this fun episode ~___^
Trying out this freebie vid & managed to find original One Last Cry by Brian McKnight. Click arrow button on left to play, hope it works for u!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have the video file of this from the Soul Power DVD? I have the DVD, but I don't have a DVD rom (nor burner) on my computer, and I'd really like to watch it on my computer!

Many thanks in advance! :)

Anonymous said...

hey zhao, thanks for the Brian McKnight song. Very sad and I still haven't heard the version David sang but can imagine so. Reading your blog always sparks my interest in David, his music and his news, even though I don't hear anything about him where I am. I hope you're keeping well and happy! Take care! =O)

- skybebe

Anonymous said...

...and while reading the 1st part of this entry, I was reminded of 'Miss Saigon'. *smile*

zoe said...

wow that blog brought tears to my eyes ToT very well written!! I can't wait for the DVD release!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks as uz Zhaodi, your blog keep me excited on DT...even long after his album launch or concert.

Last 3 days I relisten BT in car and found out (tonite, when no traffic sound :-( ) how amazing My Anata sounds. The "radio" sound comes like something from my left seat and the intro music streams from the back. Superb, try it out if you can !.
"Dear God"... you could almost feel DT's emotion..phew !

beach gurl

Zhao said...

Hi everybody heehee see if I can help you polopolo21, so nice to hear from u skybebe & u can dl DT's One last cry @ DT Interactive, plse take care too, sry to heard abt Sydney riots :( yeah Miss Saigon bittersweet, me too zoe, yeah BT truly a masterpiece beachgurl!

Anonymous said...

Hi zhao!
it's okay, I managed to do it myself:
http://www.youtube.com/?v=ugipIPWL73I